Difficulty in wearing soft contact lenses comfortably throughout the day due to dryness symptoms is common, and end of day discomfort is a challenge for many patients1,2. Improving the wettability of lenses throughout the lens wearing experience is a good approach to combat dryness symptoms and improve lens wearing comfort.
Wetting agents (surfactants) have long been included in many multi-purpose solution lens care formulations to support the wettability of soft contact lenses. The wetting agent surfactants, such as the block co-polymers poloxamine, combat dryness symptoms and enhance patient lens-wearing experience by being attracted to the hydrophobic areas of the lens surface, helping to spread moisture across the entire surface area of the lens3. Soft lens-wearing comfort that decreases through the day may be related to the loss of the wetting agent, with dryness symptoms becoming an issue by end-of-day. To partly address this issue, a longer retention time of surfactants on the lens surface may bring benefits.
HYALURONAN (HA) FOR INCREASED HYDRATION
Another component of wetting of the lens surface is the availability of hydration. Biotrue multi-purpose solution hydrates soft contact lenses in a way that the eyes stay hydrated, by utilising Hyaluronan (HA) a natural lubricant found in tears and the corneal epithelium4. Hyaluronan (HA) is a moisture loving molecule with unique water retention properties, whereby each molecule attracts up to 1000 times its weight in water and helps draw moisture to the lens surface4. Hyaluronan and surfactants in Biotrue multi-purpose solution work together to increase the hydrophilicty (water attraction) of lens surfaces. In vitro studies have demonstrated that NEW Biotrue multipurpose solution helps keep lenses continuously moist for up to 20 hours of wear4.*
AND A NEW LEVEL OF DISINFECTION EFFICACY5
Biotrue multi-purpose solution has a unique dualdisinfection system of polyhexamethylene biguanide (PHMB) and polyquaternium-1 (PQ01) that work together to kill 99.9% of germs and has a lower overall disinfectant concentration vs. competing solutions6,7.
Recommend Biotrue multi-purpose solution for the daily conditioning, cleaning, removal of protein deposits, rinsing, disinfection, and storage of soft (hydrophilic) contact lenses, including silicone hydrogel contact lenses with confidence.
* Results of a U.S. in vitro study performed to evaluate the release of wetting agents from various silicone hydrogel lens materials over a period of 20 hours.
- Needs, Symptoms, Incidence, Global Eye Health Trends (NSIGHT) Study. Market Probe Europe. December 2009.
- The 2009 Study of the Consumer Contact Lens Market, Multi- Sponsor Surveys, 2009.
- Surfactants and interfacial phenomena. Rosen, MJ John Wiley & Sons, Inc.: 1978.
- Scheuer CA, et al. Retention of conditioning agent hyaluronan on hydrogel contact lenses. Contact Lens & Anterior Eye 2010, 33(1S), 2-6.
- Reindel W, et al. Meta-analysis of the ocular biocompatibility of a new multipurpose lens care system. Clinical Ophthalmology 2013:7 2051-2056.
- Results of in vitro study following FDA/ISO stand-alone procedure for disinfecting products. Tests against all solutions were modified with organic soil added to create a more rigorous test condition. Primary criteria for effective disinfection are defined as a reduction in the number of bacteria by a minimum of 3 logs (99.9%) and a reduction of mold and yeast by a minimum of 1 log (90%) within the recommended disinfection time. Graphs depict mean log reduction measured after manufacturers’ recommended disinfecting time (soak only). Biotrue and competitor solution results from separate in vitro study performed following identical test procedures.
- Per bottle labelling.
©2011 Bausch & Lomb Incorporated. ®/TM denote trademarks of Bausch & Lomb Incorporated. Applicant: SofLens (Pty) Ltd. Reg. No.: 1968/11787/07. Marketed by: Bausch & Lomb (SA) (Pty) Ltd. Reg. No.: 1996/003931/07. 15e Riley Road, Bedfordview, 2008, South Africa. Tel: +27 11 372 5600 www.bausch.co.za BL65/14